Monday, May 19, 2008

The Lesson of the Dandelions


So, my neighbors son-in-law came over last night to rototill the rest of my garden space, and proceeded to lecture me about my dandelions. I sighed, listened, and had to agree that they do look pretty bloody awful this year, but as I'm not so into spraying poisons around my yard, they'll have to be got out the old fashioned way. Digging/pulling by hand. Of course, I am feeling the very beginning of desperation, so my mind begins trying to find the excuse I could use to go spend money on said poison.

Yes, we have lots of them this year- the amount of rain we've gotten certainly helps- and our friendly to all growing things soil. But, what to do, what to do. It isn't like I don't want any dandelions. What would the kids pick and bring to me? Also, I'm not opposed to making a little dandelion tea once in awhile- it's good for detoxing the liver, after all. I suppose if I were feeling adventurous, I might think about adding some young leaves to my salad - they are high in calcium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, vitamins A,B,C, and D. Heard of watercress sandwiches? Yes, you can do the same thing with young dandelion leaves. One thing is certain- I miss Harley, our guinea pig who died at the ripe old age of 6 last year. Dandelions were one of his favorite treats.

As I see it, dandelions are a lesson in determination. Theirs, not ours. As for us, I believe we've gotten overly concerned with having the perfect lawn. What good is a lawn, anyway? I mean, except for a soft/ and undusty place for the kids to play- but who needs a whole half acre of lawn? Also, the spraying thing is simply a sign of our laziness, more than our ingenuity. I'll bet that the time spent on the perfect lawn might be consequential to our salvation. Imagine having to explain to St. Peter at the gate why you spent so much time, money and water on something that you..walk on.

So, for now, I'll battle them the old fashioned way- and maybe use some in the process. Wish my back a good helping of luck.

1 comment:

Fawn said...

I have always wondered why in the world people have such a hatred for the tenatious dandelion? They are a beautiful bright yellow and grow with no effort on our part. I think that if they were hard to grow and cost a lot of money at a greenhouse then people would love them for the wonder little flower that they are.